Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Build Your Character Through Adversity



(Psalms 59:1-2) To the choirmaster: according to Do Not Destroy. A Miktam of David, when Saul sent men to watch his house in order to kill him. Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; protect me from those who rise up against me; deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men.

(2 Timothy 4:17-18) But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

There is much said in God's Word about enemies seeking to harm and destroy God's people either en masse or individually. This is because as a member of God's kingdom and God's family, you have an enemy who is always seeking to harm and destroy you. He never rests and he never sleeps. He is always looking for a weakness, an opportunity, a time when your guard is down. He attacks you blatantly and he attacks you subtly; he attacks you directly and he attacks you indirectly but he especially attacks you when you are least expecting it.

Ultimately, the enemy can not harm you because God has assured your salvation by accomplishing it once-and-for-all on the cross. The enemy can however, affect your sanctification and your effectiveness in sharing the gospel or good news of Jesus Christ. To be able to thwart attempts at sharing the gospel is an area of particular delight for the enemy. Your only safe and sure defense against the enemy's attacks is the power of the Holy Spirit within you.

Be on your guard today especially at times when you least expect the enemy to attack and at times when the Lord gives you opportunity to share His good news of salvation. Ask the Lord at the beginning of each day and at the moments of attack, to strengthen you with His strength which is the power of His Holy Spirit.

Questions For Discussion

Why does the enemy attack you when he knows that he has already been defeated on the cross?
When do you need to be most on your guard against the enemy?
What is your defense against the enemy?

No comments:

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...