Thursday, January 27, 2011

Persevere in the Faith



(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and did not turn back till they were consumed. I thrust them through, so that they were not able to rise; they fell under my feet. For you equipped me with strength for the battle; you made those who rise against me sink under me. You made my enemies turn their backs to me, and those who hated me I destroyed. They cried for help, but there was none to save; they cried to the LORD, but he did not answer them. I beat them fine as dust before the wind; I cast them out like the mire of the streets. You delivered me from strife with the people; you made me the head of the nations; people whom I had not known served me. As soon as they heard of me they obeyed me; foreigners came cringing to me. Foreigners lost heart and came trembling out of their fortresses. The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation-- the God who gave me vengeance and subdued peoples under me, who delivered me from my enemies; yes, you exalted me above those who rose against me; you rescued me from the man of violence. For this I will praise you, O LORD, among the nations, and sing to your name. Great salvation he brings to his king, and shows steadfast love to his anointed, to David and his offspring forever.

(Romans 11:29) For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

One of the doctrines that came out of the Protestant Reformation is the perseverance  of the saints. Simply, this means that once a person is born again, he will not turn away from the Lord. Perseverance means steady persistence in a course of action in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. Is it by our own strength or by God's own strength that we persevere in our faith?

In these and similar passages throughout the scriptures, God speaks, not so much of our own perseverance, but of His perseverance in our calling. God does not save us, give us an assignment, and then sit back to see if we will sink or swim; He is actively involved in our perseverance. David says "You gave a wide place for my steps", "You equipped me with strength for the battle", "You made those who rise up against me sink under me.", "You made my enemies turn their backs to me", "You delivered me from strife", "You made me the head of the nations", "You gave me vengeance", "You subdued people peoples under me" (paraphrased), "You delivered me", "You exalted me", "You rescued me".

God's gifts and God's calling are irrevocable. God will persevere in carrying us through today and keeping us on track to accomplish what He has called us to accomplish.

Questions For Discussion

In what way does God equip us for the calling or task to which He assigns you?
Explain a Christian who falls away from the Lord.
What does perseverance in the faith mean?

1 comment:

Porcupinetaxi said...

Perseverance in the faith is not quitting when others around you are trying to trick you with "logical" arguments!

Thank you for the blog. Timely for me, since I have been beating myself due to Huckabee's refusal to enter the presidential race so far.

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...