Monday, December 13, 2010

Seek The Lord For Deliverance

(Psalms 39:7-13) "And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you. Deliver me from all my transgressions. Do not make me the scorn of the fool! I am mute; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it. Remove your stroke from me; I am spent by the hostility of your hand. When you discipline a man with rebukes for sin, you consume like a moth what is dear to him; surely all mankind is a mere breath! Selah "Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; hold not your peace at my tears! For I am a sojourner with you, a guest, like all my fathers. Look away from me, that I may smile again, before I depart and am no more!"

(Titus 2:11-15) For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

It is a good place to be when you are no longer focused upon your own sorrows but are crying out to God and begging forgiveness for your sins. Compare your sorrows and difficulties with you sin and you find the only room in your prayer is for deliverance from those sins. Humility, submission, and subservience before the Lord result in your greatest desire being to shed the clothes of the old man, to turn away from the sins you practice, and live more like Christ.

What comfort and security there is in knowing that on the cross Jesus Christ has accomplished your redemption and paid the price for your sins. When you seek forgiveness you know it has already been given and when you cry out for deliverance you know the one to whom you cry is ready, willing, and able to deliver you. It is this type of surety that everyone in the world seeks but seeks for in vain; for no investment and no relationship could every provide the type of surety provided by Jesus Christ on the cross.

Forget your hardships today and focus on the ultimate hardship Jesus Christ endured on the cross for you. Cry out to God for deliverance not from your difficulties but from your iniquities.

Questions For Discussion

What happens when you compare your sorrows and difficulties with your sins?

How are humility, submission, and subservience related to turning away from the sins you practice?

Why is seeking anywhere else the type of security God has provided done so in vain?

No comments:

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...