Monday, January 24, 2011

Live a Godly Life



(Psalms 18:20-24) The LORD dealt with me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands he rewarded me. For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. For all his rules were before me, and his statutes I did not put away from me. I was blameless before him, and I kept myself from my guilt. So the LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight.

(Titus 2:11-12) For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age,

David was a man who committed many sins throughout his life. There were times when he was unfaithful to the Lord and times when he did not rely upon the Lord's strength and wisdom when faced with certain difficulties. There were times when David acted foolishly. Yet he says that he kept the ways of the Lord and did not wickedly depart from God, and God refers to David as a Man after His own heart. David sinned but he was not characterized by sin; he did not follow sinful patterns of behavior throughout his life; he did not constantly repeat his sins. David learned by his sins.

God has saved us from our sins, not so we can just continue sinning and rest in the fact that all of our sins are forgiven. No more than God's purpose for saving the Israelites from Egyptian oppression was to have them eternally march around mount Horeb with the confidence that they would have manna to eat everyday. God's purpose in each trip around Mount Horeb was for the Israelites to turn away from their sins and His purpose for us is that we would turn away from our sinful patterns of behavior.

Concentrate today on renouncing ungodliness and not continuously repeating the same sins. Concentrate today on living a Godly life.

Questions For Discussion

What is the difference between being blameless before God and being perfect?
How do you think God characterizes a person?
What does repeatedly committing the same sin say about your perspective on that sin?

No comments:

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...