Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Be Weak



(Psalms 18:28-30) For it is you who light my lamp; the LORD my God lightens my darkness. For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall. This God--his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.

(2 Corinthians 12:9-10) But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


Who alone can lighten darkness? What one person can run against an entire troop of soldiers? Who can leap over an enormous wall? No one can do these things of his own strength, anymore than a person can save himself from his own sins or sanctify himself to the image of Christ. It is only by God's infinite strength that any of these things can be accomplished in you. When God accomplishes these great things in a weak vessel like you, His strength is displayed and He is glorified.

Your weakness highlights God's strength. When you are too weak to accomplish something yet you accomplish it, the accomplishment is the Lord's and it becomes obvious that you are operating in the Lord's strength and not your own. His strength becomes your strength in your weakness. Your strength is God accomplishing that which is impossible for you to accomplish on your own. The great temptation is to take credit for His strength as your own and the greater temptation is to actually believe that His strength is your own strength and not your own weakness. Resist this temptation by always giving God the glory for anything good in your life.

Recognize your own weakness in the challenges you face today and rely upon the Lord's strength to overcome and accomplish them; then you will be strong!

Questions For Discussion

What does it mean, "For when I am weak, then I am strong."?
What can you do to resist the temptation to take credit for God's strength in you?
What is the first step in relying upon the Lord's strength in all areas of your life?

No comments:

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...