Monday, January 17, 2011

Remember to Whom You Belong




(Psalms 16:1-2) A Miktam of David. Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."

(2 Corinthians 1:8b-9) For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.

David realized that the circumstances of his life were far beyond what he could deal with. He took refuge in the Lord and recognized that there was no good in him apart from the Lord and that the Lord was the sole source of his strength.

The Lord wants you to rely on Him and Him alone in the same way His servant David did. He superintends your life and takes you through specific, sometimes difficult and unpleasant, circumstances as a way of communicating with you. He guides and directs you, encourages you,  gives you opportunities to practice His principles, and even forces you along His path; all through the circumstances of your life. You had the sentence of death and were pardoned by the Lord. He paid the price for your death sentence and your life now belongs to Him.

Today, remember to whom it is you belong and to whom you owe your life. Submit to His will and authority but at the same time, enjoy the safety, security, and confidence that He is in control.

Questions For Discussion

What does it mean to superintend?
Could you learn the Lord's principles without being taken through difficult and unpleasant circumstances?
What do you think about belonging to and owing your life to the Lord?

No comments:

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...