Thursday, January 20, 2011

Work On the Eternal



(Psalms 17:13-15) Arise, O LORD! Confront him, subdue him! Deliver my soul from the wicked by your sword, from men by your hand, O LORD, from men of the world whose portion is in this life. You fill their womb with treasure; they are satisfied with children, and they leave their abundance to their infants. As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.

(Luke 12:19-21) And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.' But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?' So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God."

Many around you are rich and have much in the way of materialistic possessions and physical security. David saw the same thing; he looked around himself and saw many who were rich in wealth, who stored up bountiful treasure for themselves and their children, but were far away from the Lord. David was committed to the Lord's desire for His people: to be satisfied with God's likeness. To be satisfied is not just to accept your lot in life, but to truly understand the magnitude of the wealth God has given you in conforming you to the image of His Son. All of the possessions, wealth, and security of this world can't  compare with the riches God has given you and that are stored up for you in heaven.

To work and expend your energy for the temporal things of this world (that would be anything outside of God's desire) is futile. Any pleasure these things might bring has no substance and is short lived, even in this lifetime.

Today and everyday, put forth your effort and use up your strength working on and toward the things that God desires; store up your treasure with God and know that on that final day your treasure will not be burned up in the fire but will be taken with you into heaven for eternity.

Questions For Discussion

What is the greatest inheritance one can leave to his children?
What is the Lord's purpose for His people?
How do you know that the pleasures of this world have no substance?

No comments:

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...