Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Felloship with Saints



(Psalms 16:3-11) As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight. The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips. The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

(1 Corinthians 15:33) Do not be deceived: "Bad company ruins good morals."

King David emphasizes his delight in those who walk in the ways of the Lord. He draws attention to the fact that those who seek and worship any other god are counter-productive in their quest for happiness and contentment; that their sorrows will actually increase. He says he will not participate in their activity and that he will not even speak of them. By saying that he will not speak of them he is speaking of them but this is not a contradiction. The meaning here is that he will not speak favorably of them; he will not find delight in what they do against the Lord.

Paul gives the Corinthian church a warning not to enjoy or find favor in the evil deeds of others. Paul puts emphasis on the corrupting power of heart-level association with those who do evil. Fellowship, which is the heart-level connection and enjoyment of others, is designed by God for those who are like-minded in their knowledge and love for the Lord Jesus Christ.

If you just simply enjoy the company of those who do evil in the eyes of God, you run the serious risk of being spiritually influenced by there lifestyles. You are to associate with unbelievers for the sole purpose of sharing the gospel, showing God's love, and demonstrating the holiness of God. Any other association is as counter-productive as their own running after other gods.

Do not separate yourself from the unbelieving world, for God has placed you here as a light in a dark world. Instead, differentiate between your relationships with saints and unbelievers; fellowship with saints and evangelize unbelievers.

Questions For Discussion

What is a saint?
What is fellowship?
How should you differentiate between your relationships with saints and unbelievers?

No comments:

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...