Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Begin Your Day with the Lord



(Psalms 5:1-3) To the choirmaster: for the flutes. A Psalm of David. Give ear to my words, O LORD; consider my groaning. Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray. O LORD, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.

(Mark 1:35) And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.

The morning is a very special time. You are fresh from the nights sleep with no distractions yet from the day. It is the beginning of your day and what you do first thing in the morning sets the tone for your entire day. It is said that one hour with the Lord in the morning is worth two in the evening. As a disciple of Christ, it is not optional to spend quiet focused time with Him every day; it is absolutely necessary. Beginning each day with the Lord leads you to spending your entire day with Him which is the very definition of worshiping Him. 

Although the morning is not the only time or the commanded time to have this quiet special meeting with your savior and King, it is the best. The Lord Himself began His day in the still, quiet presence of His Father. What better example to follow than the Lord Jesus Himself. If your lifestyle does not permit this time with the Lord, consider changing your lifestyle!

Do as David and the Lord Jesus Himself did and begin each day in the presence of God. If not an hour, take at least a few minutes at the beginning of each day to speak to the Lord, prepare your daily sacrifice for Him, and to hear His voice to set the tone for your day.

Questions For Discussion

Why is it important to spend time everyday with the Lord?
Why is first thing in the morning the best time of day to do this?
What should this time with the Lord look like?

No comments:

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...