Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Offer Him Sacrifices



(Psalms 4:1-8) To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm of David. Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer! O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame? How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah But know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD hears when I call to him. Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the LORD. There are many who say, "Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD!" You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

(Hebrews 13:15-16) Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

God has promised to love, protect, and bring joy to those who do not neglect His instructions and who offer right sacrifices to Him throughout their lives. In war, it is difficult to rest and even more so to sleep; for it is these times that you are most vulnerable to your enemy. David placed his complete confidence in the Lord's promises when he said that he would both lie down and sleep. David had this confidence because he knew to what God had called him, he trusted the Lord to provide and care for him, and he offered right sacrifices to the Lord in all that he did.

Your daily acts of righteousness and obedience to God's Word are true worship and praise. These acts are only possible through the power of the Holy Spirit living within you through God's act of salvation. What He has called you to, He has equipped you to fulfill; therefore through your worship, all glory and honor is given to Him.

Please God today by offering right sacrifices to Him throughout your day; seek Him and test what you think, say, and do, before you act. Trust in the Lord and know that He alone makes you dwell in safety.

Questions For Discussion

What are right sacrifices to Lord?
What results in following the  Lord's directions and offering right sacrifices to Him?
Where should you look first if you have a difficult time resting or sleeping?

No comments:

Persevere in the Faith

(Psalms 18:36-50) You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and d...